>

Friday, May 25, 2012

Pollyanna

School is out!!!! I am sitting around reflecting on the year and what in the world I am going obsess over now that what I obsess over everyday has been put on hold for 2 months and I find myself being gladGlad for lots of things, but mostly glad for all the new friends I have made this year and for the friends I've had forever.

I got the chance the other day to be glad about my recent circumstances with infertility and miscarriage.  An old friend of mine from college lost her baby. Due to a random coincidence, I was probably only 1 of 3 people on the planet who knew she was pregnant and I got to go and give her a present and love her a little bit. It felt really nice to be able to not just understand but to completely empathize with her situation; the hurt, confusion and mixed emotions she was having. It was wasn't hard for me to put myself "in her shoes"; I had been there 3 times before.  I was glad I got to be there with my friend...for my friend.

Well, that got me thinking about empathy and how so many people I know and care about DON'T have it. I'm baffled by the fact that we spend our days talking and devoting our time and energy to others and don't have the faintest clue what the person is actually feeling, thinking or going through...more importantly that we don't care!!! Then I thought how glad I was that God has brought me through hard times to my life (I know this sounds insane and no I don't want to necessarily continue to have hard times if I don't have to) but I'm so thankful I can put myself  " in someone else's shoes" who is hurting and get it.

Anyway, all this thinking about how glad I have been lately reminded me of one of  me and my mom's most favorite movies, "Pollyanna". It was made in 1960 and stars Hayley Mills before "The Parent Trap".  I won't explain the plot because there is no way I could do it justice, if you haven't seen it: rent it, buy it, or download it.   In the film Hayley Mills plays a little girl named Pollyanna who loves to play a game her parents taught her called The Glad Game.  It's the easiest game ever,  all you do is think of things you are glad about, for example: I'm glad school is out; I'm glad I have the sweetest husband ever ( I guess you could be glad you have the second sweetest husband ever); I'm glad I have a car that works; I'm glad I have my family; I'm glad I have my dog, Chevy...

So, now I'm wondering what you're glad about?  I would love for you to post a comment and let me know.  Maybe we could stop being so wrapped up in ourselves and our problems that we can start being glad for what we have, then hopefully we'll be able to see others and what they need. I could totally use a good dose of reality/attitude adjustment and I'm thinking this may be a good start , who's with me?


 Yes, that is a giant beanbag and 104 pound dog...isn't he so precious. I'm glad I have him.

1 comment:

  1. Aww Chevy! That bean bag almost makes him look small. :) Okay I'm going to tell you 5 things making me glad right now...
    1) Mad Men
    2) strawberries
    3) yoga
    4) the tutu attached to my baby's bathing suit
    5) the new art I ordered from a friend

    ReplyDelete